Friday, July 15, 2011

There's Always the Next Time

I started writing again last night.

For those of you (who are you?) keeping track, it's been almost three months since I put hands to keyboard for anything other than a tweet or Facebook status update.

Sure, sure--moving, unpacking, stress, stress, company, stress. But it was always there, niggling--you know?

Here's the part I forgot: intimidation.

Damn, it's intimidating to've been out of the game for this long. I've had this great want to start revisions on my novel FOUR, but it's all been in my head. And sure, I did tons of plotting and planning--made that part pretty easy when I wrote my skeleton plot outline for the revision. I even figured out how to capitalize on the best parts of what my draft holds and keep a lot of the good stuff. That's big for me, as I'm usually a "scrap it all and start over" type of reviser. Obviously, I've never actually revised anything.

So I'd been psyching myself out for the past two days about actually starting writing again. See, I need to gut the first third of the draft and write all new material.

But that involves...writing.

Eventually, I lit my candles, started my A Perfect Circle station on Pandora, and figured out a decent starting sentence. After all, it doesn't really matter how great it is this time. This is just another draft, isn't it. And there's always the next round of edits. The perfect image that will eventually come.

Everything's a placeholder, until it isn't.

Yeah.

How about this instead?:

That's Ben Bass, who currently stars as Sam Swarek on one of my favorite TV shows, Rookie Blue. He's not a classically handsome dude, but his character is smokin'. Sexy, funny, brooding, yet intensely passionate. The whole package. He's basically the man I'd like my male protagonist to be. With a ponytail.

Happy writing, friends.

19 comments:

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

I'm quitting Twitter & Facebook for awhile. Both have seriously damaged my writing. Enough is enough, I like writing novels more than writing drivel! ;)

best
F

Linda G. said...

Oh, he's a cutie-pie. I'll have to give Rookie Blue a try.

And have fun with your writing. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

C. N. Nevets said...

Good luck with the come back. (Don't call it a come back? You've been here for years?)

I've been in longer spells than the one you're coming out up, and after a little rust shakes off, there's usually a huge snowball of momentum.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for getting into your own personal writing groove and mojo!!! Enjoy the journey - esp. if it's with this yummy fella! Take care
x

Choms1337 said...

very nice :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Ponytails FTW! My MC has one too.

Sarah Ahiers said...

my MC has dreadlocks.
And YOU CAN DO IT!! Once you start and start to really dig into it, it will start to flow faster. Promise.
I heard good things about this MS, btw

Bkloss said...

Wahoo for being back at it!!

Teri Anne Stanley said...

Huh. Ben. He's got Stallone lips, that's all he needs. grrr.

You can do eet, just open that file and start typing!

Hannah said...

Yay!! Back in the game. I need to do the same a you once I'm settled. I keep tryin to plot something new but I know I just need to sit down and revise. At least get one revision under my belt so the next first draft is not so bloody awful. Practice practice practice!!

Also, i know you love me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

At least you have a rocking Pandora station to inpsire you!

Saumya said...

Hurray for your comeback! I agree with feeling intimidated but it looks like you're well on your way to get past that :) Good luck with the revisions. I'm finishing mine up and getting constantly distracted.

Samantha Sotto said...

Yay for getting back in the saddle! :D

Happy weekend!

Lola Sharp said...

It's true. Once you are away from a WiP for too long, it kinda grows cold, menacing. But, I promise, once you dive back in (re-read it & notes), it warms up and you feel immersed again rather quickly.

I've never watched Rookie Blue. Will check into it.

Glad you are back in BICHOK. (even if you are killing the darlings I loved in FOUR. *pouts*)

Love,
Lola

Golden Eagle said...

Hurray for getting back to writing! You can do it. :)

Len Lambert said...

Interesting MC. Nice to know you're back writing. I feel the same way when I haven't written for quite awhile. It takes time to 'reconnect' to my writer-self.

David P. King said...

Alright! Good to hear you're writing again! It could be a while before I start another project. Just finished one. Good luck with your new draft!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Until yesterday I myself haven't written anything outside a few comments and half a** journal entries since May. So you are making me feel a lot better. You have described pretty much how I was feeling. Thank you so much and it's good to see you back.

Liz Reinhardt said...

Ugh. I hear you. It's novel twelve for me. TWELVE! And I've been querying for two straight years. Worst part? I have lots of GOOD REJECTIONS! Like very nice, kind rejections that I'd be really ungrateful to not appreciate, but could I have just one lukewarm acceptance letter instead? But we'll get there...and have the coolest "road to publication" story!

http://elizabethreinhardt.blogspot.com/